Insulated shipping container and method of making the same. In a preferred embodiment, the insulated shipping container comprises an outer box, an insulated insert, an insulated cover, a payload container and a plurality of coolant members. The outer box comprises a rectangular prismatic cavity bounded by a plurality of rectangular side walls, a closed bottom end, and top closure flaps. The insulated insert is snugly, but removably, disposed within the outer box and is shaped to define a bottom, four sides and a top. The top includes a raised peripheral edge and a recessed shelf. A large rectangular prismatic cavity surrounded by a plurality of smaller cavities extends downwardly from the recessed shelf. The large cavity of the insulated insert is adapted to receive a payload container, together with a pair of coolant saddle bags adapted to surround the payload container. Each of the smaller cavities of the insulated insert has a “top hat” shape when viewed from above, with each of these cavities including a comparatively wider but shorter and shallower section and a comparatively narrower but longer and deeper section. The wider but shorter and shallower section is dimensioned to loosely receive a coolant brick, with the unoccupied portion of the section and the completely unoccupied narrower but longer and deeper section providing air spaces for convection.
Полный текст Патента US 8250882 + PDF
ФОРМУЛА ИЗОБРЕТЕНИЯ (CLAIMS)
What is claimed is:
1. An insulated shipping container comprising: (a) an insulated insert, said insulated insert having an open top and defining a central product cavity and a plurality of coolant cavities surrounding said central product cavity, each of said coolant cavities, when viewed from above, having a top-hat shape comprising a crown portion and a brim portion, wherein said insulated insert is a unitary body, wherein said unitary body is a substantially rectangular member shaped to include a bottom, four substantially equal sides and a top and wherein the central product cavity is a substantially rectangular prismatic cavity, said substantially rectangular prismatic cavity having corners substantially bisecting the four substantially equal sides; (b) an insulated lid, the insulated lid being removably mounted on the insulated insert in such a way as to cover the open top of the insulated insert; and (c) a coolant member removably received in each of said coolant cavities, the coolant member being adapted to fit within the crown portion of the coolant cavity, with the brim portion of the coolant cavity remaining empty.
2. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 1 wherein each of said coolant cavities is oriented relative to said central product cavity so that said brim portion is positioned between said crown portion and said central product cavity.
3. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 1 wherein said crown portion is wider, shorter and shallower than said brim portion.
4. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 1 wherein each coolant member occupies approximate 50% of the volume of its respective coolant cavity.
5. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 1 wherein said top of said unitary body includes a raised peripheral edge and a recessed shelf, the central product cavity and the coolant cavities extending downwardly from the recessed shelf.
6. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 5 wherein said insulated insert and said insulated lid are appropriately dimensioned so that, when said insulated lid is mounted on said insulated insert, an air space is provided between said insulated lid and said recessed shelf of said insulated insert.
7. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 1 further comprising a payload container removably disposed within said central product cavity.
8. The insulated shipping container as claimed in claim 7 further comprising at least one coolant member removably disposed within said central product cavity between the payload container and at least one side wall of the central product cavity.