A method of operation of an internal combustion engine including an intake valve coupled to a combustion chamber, and a port fuel injector positioned upstream of the intake valve in an intake manifold including a throttle, the port fuel injector fluidly coupled to a fuel rail included in a fuel delivery system housing a fuel at least partially composed of alcohol. The method including, during a start-up operation when the temperature of the engine is below a threshold value and fuel is actively being injected into the intake manifold, adjusting a cone angle of a fuel spray from the port fuel injector, via adjustment of the throttle and/or fuel delivery system, based on the position of the intake valve.
Полный текст Патента US 8020532 + PDF
ФОРМУЛА ИЗОБРЕТЕНИЯ (CLAIMS)
The invention claimed is:
1. A method or operating an engine including a port fuel injector, comprising: during a start-up operation when engine temperature is below a threshold and fuel is actively injected by the injector with an open intake valve, decreasing a cone angle of a fuel spray from the injector; and then increasing the cone angle after a selected number of combustion events, wherein the cone angle is further adjusted based on a fuel alcohol content.
2. The method according to claim 1 wherein the cone angle is reduced as an amount of alcohol in the fuel is increased.
3. The method according to claim 1 wherein the start-up operation includes a crank-start sequence.
4. A method of operating an engine including a port fuel injector, comprising: during a start-up operation when engine temperature is below a threshold value and before manifold pressure is pumped down below a pressure threshold, during active injection of fuel by the injector, and during intake to exhaust valve overlap conditions, decreasing a fuel spray cone from the injector, where an amount of decrease is based on alcohol content of the fuel.
5. The method according to claim 4 wherein the fuel injection event occurs at least partially during an open intake valve.
6. The method according to claim 5 wherein the throttle is adjusted to increase a manifold air pressure and the fuel injection event occurs substantially while the intake valve is open.
7. The method according to claim 4 further comprising, subsequent to start-up operation when the temperature of the engine has surpassed the threshold value, increasing the cone angle.
8. The method according to claim 4 wherein a fuel rail pressure is decreased via actuation of one or more pumps and/or valves within the fuel delivery system, to decrease the cone angle.